2020 Photo Challenge
To have a bit of fun during those weird and wonderful times, we had a weekly photo challenge to get people of all ages and abilities to take some photos (and sometimes video!) on a set theme with whatever smartphone or camera they have with them. Here is a summary:
Photo Challenge 20 – ‘My Happy Place’
Well done to everyone who entered into the final photo challenge. It’s been lovely to see your ‘Happy Places’ from sunsets and seascapes to smiley faces and doggies (of course). And the reality is that we are not even going to put it to vote as you are all winners – who can possibly vote for someone else’s happy place?
A big thank you to everyone who has entered the photo challenges over the last five months. It has been fab to see your enthusiasm, competitiveness and creativity shine through. I hope you have enjoyed the discipline of planning your shots, perhaps learning a little about your camera or smartphone and that you have enjoyed taking part; as well as the winning (mainly by Bernard), likes, loves and general banter. Please continue to take lots of photos of interesting, funny and happy things and share them with me, your friends and your family. You can never take too many photos…
Photo Challenge 19 – Bigger
Photo Challenge 18 – Symmetry
1st Place – Seagull by Bernard Hirrien | 2nd Place – The Wannabe Staircase by Sam Lane | 3rd Place – Millennium Bridge by Michelle Krausz:
Photo Challenge 17 – Pink or Blue
1st Place – I Want My Time With You by Sam Lane | 2nd Place – Horse’s Nose by Andy Christy | 3rd Place – Rollo by Mel Giles:
Photo Challenge 16 – Fresh
1st Place – Fresh ‘n’ Minty by Jessica Pond | 2nd Place – Fish by Bernard Hirrien | 3rd Place – Towels by Sue Christy:
Photo Challenge 15 – Transport
1st Place – Cogs by Andy Christy | 2nd Place – Pushchair by Bernard Hirrien | 3rd Place – Eurostar by Sam Lane:
Photo Challenge 14 – Black & White
1st Place – Kusco by Bernard Hirrien | 2nd Place – Behind the Clock at St Pancras by Bernard Hirrien | 3rd Place – Paws by Alister Kirkpatrick:
Photo Challenge 13 – Words
Photo Challenge 12 – Liquid
1st Place – Fairy by Ben Giles | 2nd Place – Fontaine by Bernard Hirrien | 3rd Place – Bird Bath by Sue Christy:
Photo Challenge 11 – Happiness
1st Place – The Joy of Roy by Maggie Giles | 2nd Place – My Gorgeous Granddaughter by Linda Featherstone | 3rd Place – Smiley Faces by Michelle Krausz:
Photo Challenge 10 – Bygone – belonging to an earlier time/a thing dating from an earlier time.
1st Place – B&W Film by Paul Ross | 2nd Place – Memories VHS Cassette by Jack Giles | 3rd Place – Ivory Pot by Michelle Krausz:
Photo Challenge 9 – Sparkle
1st Place – Trees by Bernard Hirrien | 2nd Place – Welder by Bernard Hirrien | 3rd Place – Jack and Sparkler by Mel Giles:
Photo Challenge 8 – Faces
1st Place – Horse by Kate Kirkpatrick | 2nd Place – Pepper by Ben Giles | 3rd Place – Sleeping Jake by Michelle Bellerby:
Photo Challenge 7 – 7
1st Place – Pool Balls by Ben Giles | 2nd Place – The Seven Dwarfs by Bernard Hirrien | 3rd Place – Jeep by Jack Giles:
Photo Challenge 6 – Yellow
1st Place – Egg Yolk by Bernard Hirrien | 2nd Place – Window by Me! It’s by Me! (Sam Lane) | 3rd Place – Buttercup by Bernard Hirrien:
Photo Challenge 5 – Lockdown
1st Place – Wrapped in Chains by Maggie Giles | 2nd Place – Gloved Hand by Nigel Parsons | 3rd Place – Empty Shelves by Sue Christy:
Photo Challenge 4 – Action
1st Place – Leaping Dog by Jacki Paterson | 2nd Place – Slo-mo Bodger (Video) by Tamsyn Ellen | 3rd Place – Seagull by Bernard Hirrien:
See all photo and video entries here – there are also a few extras that got missed out of the voting!
Photo Challenge 3 – Reflection
1st Place – Mountains by Bernard Hirrien | 2nd Place – Horse’s Eye by Kate Charlotte | 3rd Place – Zilla by Ben Giles:
Photo Challenge 2 – Red
1st Place – Poppy by Mel Giles | 2nd Place – Cherry by Botund Bozas | 3rd Place – Kitten by Madeleine:
Photo Challenge 1 – Small
1st Place – Snail by Tamsyn Ellen Giles-Roberts | 2nd Place – The little man on the road by Mel Giles | 3rd Place – Dog by unknown!:
- You can enter up to three images, my advice is that they are all different rather than variations on a theme, but it’s your call.
- Ideally the images should have been taken between the announcement of the theme (typically Friday) and the deadline of the theme (typically midnight on Sunday), as the plan is that you are challenged to think creatively. See what you can do…
- Get the images to me however you wish, you can directly upload to my site via the link, DM via Instagram or Facebook or email me. If you can rename your files or have your name in the metadata that’s helpful. I will rename all the images…
- You have until midnight on the following Sunday to submit your image(s).
- I will collate the images Monday and publish on a gallery on my website and on Facebook on the Sam Lane Photography Facebook Page.
- You have until midnight on the following Wednesday to rank your first, second and third place which can be done directly by posting on the comments fields in Facebook or by sending me your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices by DM or email after reviewing the gallery.
- I am adding a rule in here that you SHOULD NOT vote for your own entries as I will simply ignore these rankings in the tally.
- We will announce the winners on the Thursday
- And a new theme will be announced on the Friday
- There are no prizes, just the buzz of the win ;0)
- Enjoy the challenge, it is meant to be fun!